Ceramics (Raku)

Ceramics (Raku)
"Moonlight Dance of the Crows"

Friday 28 June 2013

Marcus Finch - "Alchemy? (Or Raku?)

Marcus Finch becomes an "alchemist" when he produces "raku" ceramics, creating lustrous metallic surfaces from glazes of "purest green".
Whether in 3D form or 2D, the works have loose landscape paintings showing the interaction between trees and the moon, sometimes with a recurring theme of the crow.
Below is a detail of "Chanctonbury and the Elusive Crow", which fired higher than planned but produced a greater array of colours

3 comments:

  1. Hi Marcus! You seem to be keeping quite busy these days! Enjoy your summer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quite busy is a bit of an understatement - I'm teaching a 4 day summer school this next week which starts on day one with drawing from the life model. The following day we convert drawings onto "easy-print" material (like polystyrene under pizzas!) and get printing with acrylics so we can explore mixed media and develop the designs with ref. to certain artists work. Day 3 is lino cutting and day 4 (when I'm somewhere else) is paintings inspired by expressionist woodcuts.
    Also giving a private demonstration of quick printing in the lovely town of Chichester.

    Wish you could join in - your work is really developing and I get the idea you are really enjoying exploring different subjects/ surfaces / textures.

    I was going to message you last night as I thought you might be wondering where I got to - but I fell asleep! Slightly different time zone! Back to doing house decorating after a mad outpouring of art.
    Always good to talk, Marcus.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow is an understatement as to how busy you've been! Goodness! That course of yours sounds quite intense! And I was wondering how your home improvements were going along. Well, I hope you have students who appreciate their instruction they receive from you. And I hope you get a chance to hit the waves as well. Take care!

    ReplyDelete